Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Piling On

There's a lot of uncertainty in the air at work.  For some strange reason, upper management decided to announce that we were going to have a "major announcement about restructuring" on August 1st.  So essentially they announced that we were going to have an announcement.  Supposedly this is also supposed to "calm down any rumors" that were afloat.  This is utterly ridiculous.  Our group had no idea that there were any rumors going around, and now there's nothing BUT rumors.  My always reassuring boss is now saying to keep our fingers crossed.

I've always been optimistic on the job front.  I always told myself that if something were to happen, I'd land on my feet.  I'm in a volatile industry - it wouldn't be completely unexpected if we were laid off.  The issue I have is the timing.  My surgery is in July 21st, and I will be out probably at least a month...maybe as long as 3 months.  I will be gone while this potential bomb is dropped.  I can't really post out for another position.  How can someone hire you when I'd have to be gone for at least the first month?  My company tries to keep people within the company if possible when layoffs happen.  I'm wondering how they can place me somewhere else when I'm not there.

This is an added element I wasn't expecting.  However this certainly cements my surgery on the 21st.  If I do get laid off, I need to ensure I have this covered.  I believe this is a $250,000 surgery.

Hopefully all of this is just worry, and nothing comes to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment