Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Observation

It seems to me that successful people are typically in good shape physically.  There will be exceptions to this rule, of course.  But as I walk the halls of the corporate world, see prominent personalities on TV, look at the U.S. leaders - for the most part these folks look to be physically in shape.

It doesn't have to be that far up the ladder, either.  It seems that people in simple supervisory positions seem to take care of themselves.  Maybe they're not mountain climbers or triathletes, but either they have good/lucky genetics, or they consciously take care of themselves.

What am I getting at?  Well, I don't know.  It seems a high percentage of successful people are in fair to good shape.  So in a corporate setting for example - is it managers that seek out these types of people, creating a cycle, or is there something ingrained in the brains of these folks that make them function better...more efficiently....more....successfully?

I've witnessed an employee (again I have to watch myself here) that was very overweight, change completely and now loves to run, and is in good shape.  When she was overweight, she annoyed me.  Now I find her to be a good - great co-worker.  Did she change, or did my perception change?  Do we automatically negatively judge overweight people without even knowing?  I didn't think I did.  I mean, I do to an extent outside of the workplace if I see pure negligence of one's own obesity, but I never thought on a professional level.

So many questions.  Either way, it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds.  Down about 35-40 (depending on the day) from a year ago...but still a ways to go.

In the words of Patrick Bateman, "this confession has meant nothing".

No comments:

Post a Comment