Sunday, June 19, 2011

For My Father.

As the years have passed, I still think about you every day.  It's more with a smile now than with tears, but I do still feel sorrow over your passing.  Your work ethic was nearly unparalleled, and I hope I inherit a fraction of it. You would labor 60-70 hours a week just to make ends meet.  You made sure that not only did we get by, but that we would have a wonderful childhood.  I understand your absence for those late nights at work much more now.  If I have kids, I hope to retain and share some of the knowledge that you shared me.  Much like me, your brain never stopped working, just in very different ways - yours much more productive.

Through the good times and the rough times, you were the bravest, strongest man I've ever met.  Your inspiration in times of strife has been profoundly influential.  In my 31 years, I never heard an ill word about you - and if I did I would need to correct them.

Toward the end you asked me if you were a good father, and I confirmed that you were.  Though my constant questioning of philosophy and religion has me wondering if there is heaven - I hope some way, some how, you can feel and absorb these words:  Thanks again, for everything that you did.  You were a wonderful father, and I cherish your memories and life lessons.  Happy Father's Day -  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment